Monday 11 January 2010

Symbol / Motorola LS2208 keyboard wedge barcode scanner issues

I had the pleasure of installing 5 Symbol / Motorola LS2208 keyboard wedge scanners. It was a job that I was expecting to take under an hour and the first three where installed in about 20 minutes and I was feeling confident it would all be over soon!

The final two scanners, where being installed in a different department and I strolled confidently into the room. I connected up a scanner, configured it using the provided configuration sheet and rebooted the PC. After a reboot neither the mouse or keyboard were working, which left me slightly perplexed considering how quickly I had installed the previous three. Nevermind, I'll try the other one. Exactly the same. After trying numerous configurations, checking BIOS settings and cables I had wasted about 40 minutes and was still confused.

I noticed both keyboards were identical so decided to try a spare one I had, rebooted the PC and it worked! From what I can gather some keyboards must not provide enough power, or for some other reason do not like being plugged in via a keyboard wedge. Either way it's another bit of information confined to the memory banks.

Regards

No comments:

Post a Comment