Sunday 10 January 2010

Server 2008 TS Licensing Diagnosis has not discovered any license servers

I came across an interesting problem a few months ago with a Terminal Server I was configuring. After installing the necessary roles via Server Manager and activating my Terminal Server licenses I noticed that TS Licensing Diagnosis said it could not discover any license servers.

Naturally I googled the problem and couldn't find anything of any use, so, for the first time I decided to phone Microsoft. Now, Microsoft's support were exceptional but after approximately 8 hours on the phone we were still no closer to finding a solution! Microsoft did say something interesting regarding the server manufacturers installation media which got me thinking that maybe it was a manufacturer specific problem. The server was a Fujistu TX200 S4 so I decided to do a fresh install with an original Windows Server 2008 installation DVD.

After going through the same procedure, voila, TS Licensing Diagnosis was correctly discovering my license server! I now knew it was something specific to Fujitsu's install DVD. I opened add/remove programs and decided to uninstall Serverview_Agents, went back to TS Licensing Diagnosis and the server could now discover the license server!

Apparently this is a Microsoft bug and KB977686 has been assigned but we are still awaiting a patch. More information can be found in the following threads, both of which I started:

Technet

Fujitsu

UPDATE:

Finally Microsft have released a hotfix for this problem, which I have installed and tested successfully.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977686

No comments:

Post a Comment